images upload inside Chamilo or by ftp, does it matter?

Please always state the Chamilo version you are referring to when reporting issues or asking questions.

Moderator: Coursenligne

images upload inside Chamilo or by ftp, does it matter?

Postby chipw » 05 Nov 2017, 02:13

I haven't had time to test this yet, but is it possible to upload images by ftp and not use the Chamilo image upload page? Just thinking about this I see no reason why it shouldn't work, after all, in my lessons are links to images, so why do I need an entry in a database that refers to those images?
chipw
New user

Re: images upload inside Chamilo or by ftp, does it matter?

Postby Coursenligne » 14 Dec 2017, 17:55

You can do it "technicaly" via FTP, but you won't be able to see them or use them in a course.
This is due to the fact that using FTP you don't let the platform "konw" there is a new upload.
When you use the upload option, Chamilo creates a complete entry in its database, including the generation of the path to access the picture.

Quite a time ago there was someone that manage to do it through FTP, but He had then to modify manually the data base. This is the only reason why I didn't say no, you can't do it :)

Summary : please use the umpload method from Chamilo :)
I wish you all the best
Eric
--------------------------------------------------------------
Avez-vous pensé à devenir membre de l'association ?
Consider being a Chamilo Association Member?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Coursenligne

Re: images upload inside Chamilo or by ftp, does it matter?

Postby yannick » 15 Dec 2017, 17:00

Hi chipw,

I'm going to divert a little from Coursenligne's answer.
You could create an "images/" directory at the root of your Chamilo installation and just upload all your images there. The only thing is you will have to refer to them using the URL in the CKeditor (WYSIWYG editor) interfaces, because they won't appear in the normal "file browser". That's all. We have a bunch of customers that do that.

The reason we ask you to upload things through the Chamilo uploader is so that we get information about who uploads and deletes files, so we can provide a detailed trace in case someone mistakenly (or voluntarily) uploaded a virus or something like that.
Yannick Warnier
Chamilo Project Leader & Association President
yannick
Enthousiast

Return to All topics, all versions