All you need to know about Chamilo 1.11.*

Moderator: Coursenligne

All you need to know about Chamilo 1.11.*

Postby yannick » 23 Mar 2016, 20:06

Hi, my name is Yannick and I'm the leader of the development project of Chamilo 1.11. This is a list of what you need to know about Chamilo 1.11.* in order to be an efficient community member and contribute to the general improvement of Chamilo.

• Chamilo 1.11.* is a branch, meaning it represents a group of versions prefixed by "1.11."
  • Chamilo 1.11.0 is a MAJOR version, meaning it introduces database changes on top of the latest branch 1.10.*. Minor versions don't do that. They maintain the database structure "as is"
  • Chamilo 1.11.* is a transition branch. Initially, we wanted to release a 2.* branch, but our humility level is relatively high and we do not want to release a version called "2.0" until we know there is reason enough to do so. Considering our objectives for 2.0 were *very* high, we decided to release a little pressure and... release version 1.11.0. However, 1.11.*. should be relatively shortlived, in comparison with 1.9.* and 1.10.*. In fact, we are already close to have a first runable version of 2.0, but it will still take us a few months before thinking about a first beta.
  • Mostly, 1.11 should contain a few new features about content and making it available to students in a more flexible way
  • Chamilo 1.11.0 has not been released yet (as of the 22nd of March 2016) and we hope to release it in June 2016.
  • Teacher, Admin and Developer manuals of version 1.10 should cover 1.11 perfectly well.
Yannick Warnier
Chamilo Project Leader & Association President
yannick
Enthousiast

Re: All you need to know about Chamilo 1.11.*

Postby JurgenG » 02 Jun 2016, 07:25

Will an upgrade to 1.11 be required, or will it be possible to move from 1.10.6 to 2.0?

I would prefer not risking to break my system by doing a tough upgrade when I know a new version is coming out a few months later...
JurgenG
Enthousiast

Postby yannick » 08 Dec 2016, 14:50

An upgrade from 1.10 to 2.0 should be possible. We will be able to confirm that in a few months. We usually do it. The only exception to that so far is that, for 1.10, we required the previous version to be 1.9.x because adding the direct migration from 1.8 would have meant a huge amount of work, while there was an easy way to do it in 2 steps.
Yannick Warnier
yannick
Enthousiast

Postby annickvdp » 20 Dec 2016, 10:46

Would 2.0 use a different database than 1.11? We are thinking of upgrading to 1.11, but we might wait if we know a new 2.0 is coming.
Any idea of timing?
annickvdp

Postby yannick » 23 Dec 2016, 20:18

Hi Annick,

I don't like to estimate it because a lot of different factors might affect it, but roughly, we would like to release it around the 3rd quarter of 2017.

Chamilo 2.0 should support other database servers than MySQL, but that support will only be experimental in 2.0, and will get stabilised with the versions and with the support of organizations that want to help us progress on that (by being customers or contributing directly to the code).
Yannick Warnier
yannick
Enthousiast

Postby lucysup » 26 Dec 2016, 12:22

yes i know about
lucysup

Postby sukk741 » 06 Jan 2017, 04:40

Upgrading from 1.10 to 2.0, we will be able to confirm that in a few months. We usually do it The only exception is that, so far, that we need to use 1.10 for the previous model due to increasing migration from 1.9.x to 1.8, meaning a lot of work while there is an easy way to do it. in the second step
sukk741

Postby peterpan » 19 Feb 2017, 06:03

Hi Yannick ,
I came across a query made to you by someone about his Chamilo LMS not running optimally when he tried to conduct a simultaneous test of 1300 users at once . Although , I don't plan to have any simultaneous courses , I do expect to have 5000-15000 students on my elearning platform eventually . I have arranged my chamilo lms to be hosted on a cloud server , but I didn't know that Chamilo itself could also come under stress .

I expect to have 1000 students at peak load times . Can you please suggest me so as to what to do to ensure a smooth running of Chamilo in such situations ?
peterpan

Postby jand » 27 Nov 2017, 11:40

peterpan wrote:Hi Yannick ,
I came across a query made to you by someone about his Chamilo LMS not running optimally when he tried to conduct a simultaneous test of 1300 users at once . Although , I don't plan to have any simultaneous courses , I do expect to have 5000-15000 students on my elearning platform eventually . I have arranged my chamilo lms to be hosted on a cloud server , but I didn't know that Chamilo itself could also come under stress .

I expect to have 1000 students at peak load times . Can you please suggest me so as to what to do to ensure a smooth running of Chamilo in such situations ?

That is a good question. At hva.nl we had troubles when 700 students tried to login at about the same time. Some couldn't. And we have a seperate database server and two webservers with a loadbalancer. Fortunately on normal days the load is spread more evenly and the 4000 users on the system never work at the same time.

The problem is that every hardware situation is different. Maybe there is some kind of reference speed test for LAMP systems but even then you have to be careful if it applies to your organisation. I guess that a raspberry PI with PHP7 can easily handle 1000 logged-in users as long as they don' do anything at the same time :-)

JMeter.apache.org and Blazemeter.com can be used to create load tests. I wonder if Yannick knows where the Chamilo load bottlenecks are. I think it's the database that sometimes gets in trouble with queries that take too long and should be optimised.
jand
New user

Return to General