The Chamilo Association announced the release, last Friday, of their new major version of Chamilo LMS, coming with more than 100 new features to improve education methods.
For those who never heard about Chamilo, this relatively new e-learning platform (just 5 years into the game) has been growing its community at a steady pace (already 11M users worldwide) around one concept: making e-learning easier to use for all institutions.
Among the new features, we’d like to highlight what we feel could be particularly useful to teachers:
- gamification features allowing students to receive points and badges for completing course elements
- new draggable and image-selection question types
- a search page to find certificates emitted by the institution
- PDF reports from the gradebook
- a one-on-one videoconference working from mobile devices (and Chrome or Firefox)
- a sessions catalogue and an online shop (PayPal or cheque payments)
- integration of a new online editor for better support of modern and mobile browsers
- a Skype plugin
- the possibility to export/import surveys
- a plugin to send SMS to your students
- a new course-level report for learning paths progress
We’d also like to highlight the availability of 27 gorgeous designs from which to base your own design on.
If you’d like to try the free online demo campus provided by the Chamilo Association, head on to https://campus.chamilo.org and create a teacher account. If you prefer having your own portal to test as administrators, download the latest version from here or contact an official provider for a more customized service.
The Chamilo Association reminds us that its role is only to create a platform for teachers to create their own courses to improve education. It does not provide courses directly (although several of its official providers do).